National Poison Prevention Week: March 19 – 25
The third week in March was designated by Congress over fifty years ago as a time to highlight the dangers of poisonings and how to prevent them from happening to children and pets. This week was designated to create parental awareness of the dangers of common items we have in our homes.
Pets are curious. They can’t resist smelling and tasting things they encounter in their day.
Just like children, pets are vulnerable to accidental ingestion of potentially life-threatening common items. There are simple steps to reduce the chances of accidental ingestion of a poisonous substance for our pets.
When choosing indoor houseplants and outdoor plants for the yard, learn about the potential for toxicity to pets. For example, English Ivy, Bird of Paradise, and Azaleas are toxic to dogs, cats and horses.
People food can be toxic to your pets. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has created a list of foods that are harmful to your pets.
Almost any medication or supplement has the risk to result in toxicity when ingested in a high enough dose. Medications can be accidentally left within “reach” by pet owners or well-meaning travelers (guests in your homes). Your dogs and cats may nestle into an open suitcase in your guest room.
Many common household items can be lethal to your animals, including adhesives, mothballs, potpourri oils, coffee grounds, homemade play dough, fabric softener sheets, dishwashing detergent, and batteries. In your garage and basement, keep gasoline, oil and antifreeze stored in areas that is inaccessible to your pets. As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze can be deadly to your cat, and about one tablespoon can be lethal to a twenty-pound dog.
During Poison Prevention Week, take some extra time to learn more about poison prevention. Check your home for any potentially toxic substances that may be within reach of your pet.
If you suspect your pet has ingested a harmful substance, immediately call us @ 636.225.8387 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center @ 888.426.4435. Keep these numbers in a place where they are easy to find in an emergency!